Tuesday 5 June 2007

In the Navy Progress

Well I am half way there with the Hearty Man's Plaid socks, and have managed to complete one sock,



The pattern itself is superb, and I am very pleased with the result that I am getting, the combining of two skeins is working really well and I just love the lighter brighter random stripes. the pattern is easy to follow with enough interest with the slip stich rib to prevent boredom setting in.

Crikey though the heel is so strong, not much chance of these wearing out quickly, it is worked by alternating rows of one row being knitted with the two skeins together and the purl row alternating each skein, like a check board effect, the result super strong and perfect for men's heavy feet. especially as it is the heel which seems to get the most wear, The toe is worked the same with the check board effect making these super strong too.




Just before I got to the toe-shaping I did ask DB to try the sock on, just to check the length was right. so I left him briefly with the sock whilst I went into the kitchen, to be interrupted by cries of "this is a bit tight, I'm struggling to get it past the heel" my heart sank; the thought of ripping it out and starting again just did not appeal, and certainly would dash any hopes of them being finished for his birthday, so I plucked up the courage to take a look, and when I saw horror of horrors to see he was pulling and stretching the sock on upside down and he had the ribbed cuff covering his toes, I had to laugh at the look on his face though, whatever next, maybe I will need to resort to writing the letters L and R on his boots too ;-) lol. So we managed to pull the sock off and tried again properly and it fits, maybe still a little too tight getting it past the heel but it does go on and DB is very impressed with the thickness and warmth, will be excellent in the winter with wellies or make great winter house socks. DB has even asked me what colour will I be making his next pair in, Steady now....

Apart from the sock I have not really done much other knitting, just a few more rows on Flirt. I, however ordered yet more STR, one skein again In the Navy, as I was at first a bit unsure if I would have enough to complete both socks, looking at it now, I maybe was being a bit too cautious, but I think every knitter's nightmare is running out of yarn at the crucial moment of finishing. also another skein in (Knitty Rocks) somehow got ordered too, a girls gotta have a reward sometimes you know ;-) I just hope they arrive soon. and can post pictures next time. I also re-newed my Rowan Subscription too.


Its just a short post this time, as time is getting a bit crucial for these socks, I have ten days to knit the second sock, note to one-self never set a dead-line, it takes some of the fun away from knitting.

So that' s all until next-time and hopefully I shall another pair of Socks That Rock for Big Feet!



9 comments:

Madge said...

Congrats on finishing sock the first! Good luck finishing the second in time, too.

Judith said...

Very lovely work! And I like that pattern!

CurlyBrunette said...

Your socks are looking fabulous! I am glad they fit in the end. What a funny story! Men, thats all I have to say about that. We seem to have a weakness for socks that rock, dont you think? LOL I also ordered the Knitty colorway, I love it! I am sure you'll get the second sock done in time, it always goes faster than the 1st.

MandellaUK said...

Ooooh! Great-looking manly socks!

Linda said...

I love the sock trying on story!! That is such a good way to make a strong pair of socks.

belaybunny said...

well done, keep going with the deadline - I love the colour of the STR socks :)

Kat said...

aahhh mens socks! I am attempting these too!

RoxyK said...

Congrats on finishing the first sock!!

How funny is the trying on story ;) Whatever next eh?

I like how you managed to order more STR........well done!

artyfartykat said...

Sock looks brill, love the trying on story! Only a man....!