Sunday 20 May 2007

In The Navy

And I am off on a mission, I need to turn these lovely Socks That Rock skeins



into a pair of men's socks for DB's birthday, my original idea of doing a toe-up sock and continuing with the cuff until the skein runs out, so not to waste any has had to be changed, as the two skeins although the same shade On the Navy are quite different, one skein is a lighter shade than the other, now I myself don't really mind having odd coloured socks, to me it adds to the uniqueness, but DB was not too keen, so after scouring the Internet, books and magazines etc I came across this lovely pattern for Hearty Man's Plaid Sock this is a lovely pattern and works by alternating rows with the two skeins into a stripe, and where on row one is worked by knit four, slip one; row 2 is plain knit all the way round to give the plaid effect, obviously has my two skeins only vary slightly, the plaid look shall be very subtle, but I bet this would look fantastic with black and a brighter shade, maybe one day I'll make him another pair, if all goes well with these! Thank you Kathleen for the pattern, it really is just what I have been looking for. Now DB's birthday is less than a month away, three weeks. six days to be precise, so I really have got to get cracking on with these, not much of a tall order I know for most knitters, but it is me we're talking about, not exactly a fast worker and easily distracted.... gosh that sounds too familiar to my old school reports.

So I wound the skeins into balls last night and casted on, this is my progress so far


I am only just past the ribbed cuff, so you can't see the plaid effect as yet as I really need to do some more rows first, but will give a progress picture next week.


Thinking of DB Birthday though, has made me realise that we shall be almost half way through the year, crikey where has the time gone, I have not got no where near as many FO's as I would have liked. I have done a few more rows on Flirt, and am now just up to the armhole shaping on the back, but Caister hasn't been touched for weeks, and Chamomile is still hiding behind the sofa untouched, it keeps glaring at me, every time I move it to vacuum, which is not very often believe me.

I have this week however, finished the Monsoon Inside Out Sock, this if you remember is the first kit of the Socks That Rock Club



And here they are being worn (you have to milk these FO's you know, you don't see too many of them on this blog)



I did enjoy making these, although the pattern had a lot of firsts for me, I did find the pattern well written and easy to follow, although I am not too sorry that I do not have to do any more of those tight cable twists. but all in all, a great pattern and lovely yarn of course, and lots of help on the KAL I am so glad I joined in the fun of the club.
Did anyone watch Miss Marple on Friday night, it did make me laugh at the bit, whilst sleuthing to solve these murders, that she reminded herself that she needed to buy some more wool from the yarn shop, good to see her top priorites ;-) you see it is a proven fact that knitting helps the concentration.
Well, hopefully next time I will have a better progress picture with the sock and maybe get a bit more done with the other WIPS. Enjoy your week!

8 comments:

Judith said...

Hey, girl! I'm knitting a pair of socks for my DH in StR In the Navy colorway. He has big feet, though, and he likes thick socks, so I'm knitting them from the heavyweight on US 4.0. And just plain stockinette stitch -- he made me promise "nothing fancy."

Check out my KFYS blog for some pictures.

Congratulations on finishing the Monsoon socks!


Hugs and good knitting!

Linda said...

The blue socks are going to be great! Good luck for finishing them in time!

artyfartykat said...

The socks definitely rock! Well done you!

MandellaUK said...

I think you're right about doing the plaid socks pattern and using both skeins at once. Yes, the effect will be subtle but it's looking great already. I've got two balls of sock yarn, one colour, two dyelots and I know if I just knit them into "ordinary" socks it'll drive me nuts for ever after, so I'm thinking of a similar solution to dilute the colour differences.

Many congratulations on finishing the STR socks. I have ripped mine back to the start of the cabling and am just going to knit them in rib. It was either that or change to an even bigger size needle and I don't know if even that would be enough.

Kathleen in Ormond Beach said...

I'm thrilled you like the pattern - I've started using those heels and toes for all my husband's socks now. They're pretty darn strong :)
Can't wait to see the pattern!

Madge said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Your Monsoon socks have turned out wonderfully, and I really like your navy STRs so far, too. I agree that interchanging the skeins is the way to go.

I'm off to check out the pattern you're using, as one day soon I need to make a pair of socks for my husband.

Cheers!

RoxyK said...

Hope you manage to get the socks all finished in time!

And well done on finishing the Monsoon socks - they look great ;)

Must finish mine soon.......

belaybunny said...

very nice socks. And I really like the blue yarn.