Sunday 24 June 2007

Cars, Knitting and British Weather

Well, it's been a strange fortnight, were things just have not gone quite how they should, It starts of with about four weeks ago, the lock on the boot of my car got stuck and stayed locked, impossible to open manually with the key and the only way to open it was to climb through the hole with the back seat down, and open it from the inside and then of course as soon as you locked the car with the central locking, it locked and stuck again, talk about inconvenient, so we took it the local garage and was told that a complete new boot lock would be needed and as it is a fairly old car, the part would need to be ordered specially and would take approx a couple of weeks, now at the end of June, the car was ready for its MOT, so rather than take two days holiday off work, I asked them to bring the MOT forward and put the new lock in at the same time. So in the morning of the day the car was booked in I dropped the car off and was told it would be ready mid-afternoon, but when I went back to collect it. I was told it had failed its MOT, due to a bad earth on the back lights, so in effect, when the lights are on and you apply the break, the lights flash alternately, a bit like a disco! and then they said they couldn't fix it, as they couldn't open the boot, and they were still waiting for the boot lock to arrive, as it was in back order and they couldn't say how long it was going to take, days or weeks! I was not at all happy ;-( not only had I wasted a day's holiday, I was left with a car with no MOT and still with a boot that couldn't open. I really need the car to travel to work, as work is approx ten miles from where I live and I would need to catch two buses, which never run on time. So then DB got home and managed to sort the boot lock, as he discovered it was the central locking bit that had ceased, so removed that bit all together and now the boot can be locked and unlocked manually with the key, he also sorted the bad earth on the lights too, so the following day I left work early, and took it back to the garage and all is well as it passed, we tried to cancel the new lock, but was told we couldn't as surprise, surprise it had finally arrived that day . So I've ended up paying for a lock, that no longer needed, eh That's life! Talk about if you want something doing, do it yourself!


Then, last Wednesday, when driving to work, I was giving way at a junction, when another car went into the back of me, luckily for me when I got out, she had hit my tow bar and hadn't caused any real damage, just slightly bent it, but the other car had a cracked number plate and bent the sill underneath, the girl was very apologetic though and said her flip flop had got stuck on the clutch and had made the car surge forward into mine, she was upset, as she had only got the car the day before, I did suggest to swap details, but she was very reluctant and when I went to my car for my pad and pen, she just drove off, I did manage to note her registration and have informed my insurance company, just in case she should change her story and try to blame me!

I did not make my knitting deadline with the socks for DB's birthday, and even now, they are still not finished, SSS definitely set in, but I'm getting there slowly and am now about half way on the foot, so another couple of evenings should do it! DB had a lovely birthday though, I bought him a new pair of motorcycle boots, hence the hope for the socks to go with them, but never mind, he got to try the boots, as we went to Sutton on Sea on the Harley for Fish and Chips. We waited practically all day for the rain clear and then set off and had a fantastic meal at a little restaurant there called Waldo's! Then when we got back, we shared a bottle of wine and watched the film Apocalypto, DB's choice, as I honestly thought it would be too violent for me, true it did have a lot of brutal gory violence, and some bits I did look away, but all in all a fantastic action adventure film about a young tribal Indian's escape and fight to save his wife and son and his way of life! Well worth watching if you haven't seen it already, even I sat through start to finish without getting bored!


My sock knitting did get spurred on by the arrival of these little beauties




Yes, you guessed it more STR yarn, another skein of In the Navy, which I ordered in case I ran out for the Hearty Plaid Socks, not really needed now, but will come in useful when in the distant future I make another pair of socks for DB. and the other skein is Knitty Rocks, it really is gorgeous as there as so many different colours in this skein, can't wait to see it knitted up and just because I like it so much here is another picture on it's own



I have finished the back on Flirt and now started the left front, although something very strange has happened with my tension, it seems to be tighter than usual, and I'm not sure why, as I have not changed the way I hold the needles or anything, I pleased as it looks a lot neater than before and the stitches do look more even with each other, but I worried that the fronts are going to be smaller than the back, and to frog the back and re-knit it daunts me, but I can't see any other choice, I am trying to loosen the tension a bit, but it feels awkward and slow and I practised with other yarns too and the same thing's happening with them, the work is definitely a lot tighter and smaller, has anyone else experienced this to happen, or is this unusual? I'm not sure whether it because I'm knitting more or whether it down to the tighter gauge I have been doing lately, with the Monsoon sock and the Hearty Man socks. I don't mind as my stitches do look better, but I am bit concerned if its not consistent and I go back to the old way and then have very odd looking garments, I'd really appreciate any advice!


Well that's all my happenings of the last fortnight and I shall leave you with a picture of Tess, waiting patiently for the rain to stop, so she can have a good run around the local fields, this look, is pretty much how she's been all week, Fed Up!


I personally quite like the rain, what better excuse than on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, settling down with some knitting and a cup of tea, listening to rain patting on the window, whilst your back turned on the pile of washing that you should really be doing instead, but can't because it just too wet and miserable to dry outside ;-)

12 comments:

Madge said...

Have you gotten your June STR club yarn yet? Do you love it? :) Wow, that Knitty Rocks is awesome cool. Positively glows on my computer monitor.

Sounds like you and DB had a wonderful birthday. And I hope you're getting lots of sock knitting done tucked up cozy inside with Tess.

Curly Cable said...

No I'm still waiting for the STR club yarn, apprantly been held at San Francisco for five days and was released on the 19th, so fingers crossed I won't have to wait too much longer. Knitty Rock colourway is fab, so many bright colours all in one skein, can't wait to get started but much finish DB sock first.

mehitabel said...

Sounds like you've had an interesting, if expensive, week! I hope the STR has brightened things up for you. We could use the rain, so can you send it to us? I hope you aren't in the flood zone I was reading about this morning! Knitting and drinking tea and listening to the rain sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day!

Madge said...

Oh, I hope I didn't spoil the sock club yarn for you with my post yesterday! Sorry, I didn't see your response until a second ago. Stupid mail service - holding yours up for so long. Hope you have it soon! It's a lovely summer colorway.

*hugs*

MandellaUK said...

Well, you've certainly had an eventful time of it the last couple of weeks. I almost feel sorry for the girl who drove into the back of you, and certainly would have done if she hadn't driven off. I did the same thing myself some years ago, only I wrote off the car in front! I'm very careful about the shoes I use for driving now.

I really like the Knitty Rocks yarn. Lovely and bright!

As for the tension issues with Flirt, the same problem is the bane of my knitting life. Whenever things get a little stressful my knitting tightens up. Wait until you see my latest socks in progress and you'll get what I mean!

Curly Cable said...

Oh no Madge don't worry, you havn't spoilt anything at all, I had already looked on blogs on the kal, to see what yarn and pattern it would be, so I could make sure I'd got the right size needles ready ;-) Good news is DB just rung and said I have a parcel from UPS and it can only be...... Woohoo roll on 6pm when I get home from work

Linda said...

What a car related nightmare time! No wonder your tension is off! I am not sure what you should do about that to be honest.

CurlyBrunette said...

So sorry to hear of your car troubles. You have been through the ringer lately. It looks like you got some nice yarn and that makes up for a little bit of your troubles. I love the KNITTY ROCKS colorway and also ordered the last time I ordered from BM. I think you are going to love the June Kit from BM, its the best one yet! (thats just my opinion) Hope thinks get better for you and you have better luck this week.

belaybunny said...

I love the STR yarn, and your dog is so cute. I hope it's no longer wet where you are, it's still raining here!!

RoxyK said...

Sorry to hear about all your car trouble. How come when one thing goes wrong, it just carries on ;(

I'd have reported the girl to the police for driving off. I hope she's insured!

The tension thing sounds like either stress (not surprising with recent events) or like you said, you're knitting more and your tension has tightened up. The same thing happened to me once I discovered Rowan and learnt all about tension and gauge and starting knitting a lot more.

I wouldn't worry about having to redo anything, most patterns say to knit to a certain length anyway and I can't imagine anyone will attack you with a tape measure to check your tension!!!

Being on gauge or tight is definitely a good thing as you've noticed. Lots of lovely nice neat stitches ;)

Love the STR. Can't have enough really. I just started the Grasshoppers and got as far as about 4 rows into the pattern before I frogged it. DH didn't like the lace and I'm not too keen on holey socks either!

Poor Tess. She's got the same face as Chilli who had a not very pleasant trip to the vets today ;(

Judith said...

Oh, dear, what a time of it! Well, even my worst day of knitting was better than my best day of anything else. I hope it gets better!

Amelia said...

I am really curious to see what the Knitty Rocks looks like knitted up. I find it really hard sometimes to visualise what something will look like when it's wound into a ball or knitted up. What pattern is it destined for?