Saturday 10 March 2007

ONE STEP FORWARD, TWO STEPS BACK

This is how it's felt with the knitting progress lately, As mentioned in previous post I was rather hoping to have at least one FO, but unfortunately it's not to be, I did hit a snag with the cropped cardigan, yep that darn pattern with all it's errors is "haunting me". I'd knitted the first sleeve, then about half way up on the second sleeve, I decided they didn't look long enough, as the increases given in the pattern on the sleeve do not add up to what the pattern says they should on the size I was making. I had to re-write the particular part of pattern again, to get the right amount of stitches, So I knitted the sleeves to my own amendments, but after realising they were not going to be long enough I re-read the pattern again, and although I had altered it to get the amount of stitches rights, I'd somehow, missed a chunk of the pattern, so I was about 12 rows short, which on 5mm needles is quite considerable length. The tape measure was telling me that I was about two inches short of what the sleeve should measure, and as the sleeves are cropped anyway, mine being even shorter looked really stupid and I was not at all happy with them, so I knew with that dreaded feel in my stomach, that my only option was to frog them, so after a glass of wine (large one) ;-) I ripped it all out, re-wrote the pattern yet again and have re-knitted them.

I also had a few problems locating a button for the front, There aren't any sewing type shops where I live, without taking a trip into town, and going to John Lewis's. which is a long way, just for one button, OK I know I don't really need much of an excuse to have a look at the yarn again, but budget doesn't really allow for it at the moment, and I am certainly not someone with strong-willpower that can just look and then walk away. I did look on e-bay for a button but those are mostly sold in packs of ten, and as I want the button colour shape and size to be just right, It's difficult to see them exactly on a computer monitor and if they are not right and can't be used. it would be a waste of time and money. I also looked in the charity shops, but couldn't find anything suitable there either. So when I mentioned the problem to DB, he said, I'll make you one and the next day after work, he came home with these



So I have a choice of two, both are ideal, and although it's difficult to see in the photograph, he made these from oak and has stained them to show the wood grain. I am not sure which one to use as they are both great and just what I wanted, but then I got that guilty feeling again , as I remembered I still have not started his socks yet.

So now the knitting part is all done and blocked thankfully, I did try to take photographs but couldn't get them to look right and then the batteries in the camera packed up, how come no matter what you are doing, the particular batteries you need are never at hand. So the Laura Long cropped cardigan is now ready and waiting for that wonderful job of sewing up (eyes roll)

On the previous post I mentioned the pattern a day calender,
Kat was asking where I'd purchased it from, I bought mine from The Calendarclub.co.uk to be honest I have so far been a bit disappointed with the calender, I have resisted the temptation to look at the patterns still to come, but so far none of the patterns have been anything I have wanted to make or wear. But it's still good fun seeing a new pattern each day and fingers crossed it can only get better

I did manage to win these on eBay, I usually don't have much luck with knitting bargains on there, but this was a exception, and with this I shall be able to make another pair of the Spindle Socks at about half the price.

On other knitting news I have very nearly completed the second G-Rock sock, only about 10 rows to go and the toe shaping, I am also half way up the back of Chamomile, so there is slow progress going on.....

I'm still waiting for the STR package to arrive, I had hoped that it would have come last week, but the Blue Moon Fibers have bit hit with another snag, heavy snowy weather, They really have had the odds stacked against them with this, and it's a shame as the girls have all really worked hard at putting the problems right, whilst still keeping a sense of humour, it seems as though they been having the same problems as me ONE STEP FORWARD AND TWO STEPS BACK

6 comments:

Kat said...

Wow! You have had a busy week! I think I may invest in the stitch n bitch calender, even if it is march ...already!

Judith said...

I'm magnificently impressed that your husband could make a button!

Now, take a deep breath and face the tasks ahead just one at a time. You'll make it!

Hugs and good knitting!

Linda said...

Well done on sticking with your cardigan, I would have given up! Those buttons are gorgeous, your husband should go into the button business!

Liz said...

Your cardigan sounds a bit like my swing jacket frustration! Just keep thinking how much you'll love it when it's finished and have something straightforward to be knitting when the going gets too much!!

CurlyBrunette said...

Hi CC, thanks for your well wishes on my blog, it means a lot to me. Did you get your Sock kit from BM yet? I hope it arrives soon if it hasnt yet. I am so slow and still working on the foot. I have at least another 3-4 inches before the heel.

RoxyK said...

Oh how cool your DB made buttons!!!

Mind you, DH did recently shorten some bamboo needles for me after I complained they were too long. Should have thought of that either.....though just noticed they no longer have their size on them ;)

What fun you've had with the cardi! At least you've sorted it all out and its all part of the fun though doesn't always feel it. The way I see it, the more mistakes I make, the more I learn to be more careful next time!

I'd definitely agree with Juliet's suggestion of a 3 needle bind off for the back neck.

I was totally disappointed with the Knitting Calender and gave mine to charity. Will know for next year!