Saturday 30 December 2006

Here's to 2007

Well 2006 is nearly at the end, and I can't believe how quickly this year as gone, let alone the speed of last week, all my plans of having a leisurely week of knitting have gone up the spout, and to be quite honest I can't really think of what I have done with the time instead , it just vanished between a bit of cooking, visiting relatives , reading etc... and also thinking about New Year resolutions, something which I do not usually bother with.

One of the reasons I started this blog, was to hope it would spure me on a little, to actually completing projects on the needles a little more quickly, rather than just starting them, leaving them either on the needles or just in a bag waiting for the dreaded task of sewing up, never seeing the light of day again, then starting on something new for the same process to happen! so my first New Year task is to make sure I only knit things, that I know I shall want to wear and feel happy wearing, rather than knitting things that look good on the model, that never in a million years would suit me or that would makes me feel uncomfortable and conscious of going out in.


My other New Year Resolution is, the other day I was reading a health magazine (not good when you've eaten one too many mince pies) and there was an article regarding the amount of chemicals which is being put in our foods, particularly salt related, although the government is supposed to be setting guide-lines to the food manufactures and now by law they have to list what their food contains, the message is still not getting across to the public and the dangers that these chemicals can cause, so the manufactures are still getting away with it, even worse a lot of these are put in foods that are aimed for children, Is it any wonder that some children today are feeling one minute hyperactive the next dreadfully lethargic. So one of my tasks this week has been looking in my cupboards to see what these foods actually do contain, I was completely astounded, there were names that I can not even pronounce, let alone know what it actually is, there was even a bag of Ready Made frozen potatoes, which contained everything but potato. So after emptying the contents out and sorting the packaging for the recycle bins, I have thrown it all away, My cupboards are now virtually bare, but I feel a whole lot better for it, and as DB and I quite like cooking, we are no longer going to buy these convenience foods, but start to make our own soups, breads, sauces and things from fresh natural produce, so we know and can monitor exactly what we are eating. espcially cutting down on salt or salt subsitutes. Hopefully our health should improve as well. We have always given Tess freshly cooked meat anyway, as the tinned and dried variety really isn't to her liking, but we do add a few dog biscuits to the meat, as these are suppose to make the meal more balanced, but I was horrified to see that these actually contained chemicals too, especially colour, which is bizarre as most dog experts say dogs only see things in black and white anyway. Well that's my rant over with!



Back to the knitting, I have started the Spindle sock and must say, that these are gorgeous to make, the yarn is so thick and soft compared to the usual sock wool and really do make a nice change, they are quick as well, as there is only 52 stitches to the round, and on slightly larger needles too, the pattern is a slipped cable stitch, which is easy to follow, and also can be done without using a cable needle, I don't think I am going to make my deadline though , so I afraid they shall be a belated birthday present, but I am sure the recipient won't mind and hopefully will be as delighted with wearing them as I have been making them


I have also made very slow progress with Bergere De France Sock too. hopefully will have photos of these completed next time.
Well I hope you all have a Happy New Year and all the best for 2007. See you then!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the sock looks great! i try to cook most things from scratch - they really do taste better. of course, sometimes one is just too tired/lazy, but the intention is good ; )

MandellaUK said...

Happy New Year to you. I wish you all the best with the healthy eating. I had no idea there was colour in dog biscuits!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog! Your spindle sock is lovely...and the resolution about knitting things that you will wear strikes a cord here!!
Happy new year.