Monday 22 September 2008

FEELING GUILTY

Just looking at when I last posted here, way back in June, for some reason has given me a rather guilty feeling of neglect, trying to think back of what I have been up to the recent months seems difficult, almost like I have just woken up from a long deep sleep, vague memories of a couple of rather wet camping trips do spring to mind though and that is all. Maybe it just that the summer has passed away to quickly to the point of non-existence.

However I do have some knitting to show, so perhaps rather than the sleep-walking, I have been doing small doses of knit-walking, ha-ha.


Firstly I finally managed to finish the Solstice Slip Socks




I am pleased with the pattern and the yarn, although I now wish I had made them smaller, I followed the instructions for the medium size and they are a little too large for me, but despite that they do make excellent house socks and are lovely and warm.


Enchant has been pushed to one side temporarily, the long and winding edging is really taking it's toll and is just almost too painful to knit, boring endless and endless rows of a kinda garter stitch rib. Also when pressing the main body piece, I am afraid to say I was rather heavy handed with the iron and have been left with a slight limp piece of fabric, however I will persevere with it, as I do still really like the pattern. One particular thing I like about knitting, is that you are always learning something new and sometimes I feel mistakes happen for a reason, however much it hurts, you will not make the same mistake twice.

A month ago I started a new project Fern from Rowan Magazine No 24. I am using Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool, which is a lovely smooth yarn to knit with. The pattern has been rather enjoyable to make with easy to follow instructions and for my standards has been quite a quick project.





I have now completed all the pieces and just got the last part of neck band to finish. I know if I really put my mind to it, I could probably have this finished at the weekend. I have been following the Finishing Techniques book by Sharon Brant to help me with the finishing and for the first time I am going to sew the sides and sleeve seams first, then attempt to fit and stitch the sleeve head inside. Fingers crossed it'll work.

I'll try and not leave it so long till the next post and will hopefully have some pictures of a Finished Fern to show soon.


9 comments:

Linz Knits Now said...

Lovely knitting! Fern is gorgeous in that colour...keep going ;)you're nearly there.

Socks are fab too.

Linz xxx

Linz Knits Now said...

P.S you now have a new award!! go check out my blog xxx

blog-blethers said...

Fern looks fab ... what a beautiful shade you've chosen.

And I reckon knit sleeping is the best way to have got through our recent 'summer';o)

Anonymous said...

Fern is gorgeous!!! *wonder if I have that book*

And I love the socks - stunning!!!

Congratulations too - we're twins ;-)

Joy said...

What lovely socks :-)

I think Fern is going to be lovely, I'm so looking forward to photos.

Linda said...

Hello! Fern is going to be lovely, now that Autumn is here is a far better time for knitting anyway. the socks are such great colours.

Anonymous said...

oh, what lovely socks. and the cardigan is looking great too, it's a gorgeous colour.

have you tried out your spindle from Lin yet? ;)

Sarah said...

Don't feel guilty - just blog when you feel like it :o)

Love the socks and Fern looks like it will be lovely too. That's how I sew in my sleeves and it seems to work out well for me, hope you like that technique.

RoxyK said...

Why we should feel guilty for not blogging more is crazy really isn't it! I'm the same though lol ;)

The socks are GORGEOUS. Well done on trying knitting up in a different order. I tried it once and hated it - never again. But maybe it will work better for you. Fingers crossed!

I'd try washing the piece of enchant that you overpressed to see if it comes back to life again.

Fern is looking lovely and is a fab colour too :)