Tuesday 23 October 2007

Ahoy We have Tidal Waves

Yes, At last I have actually another FO, these are the Tidal Waves that I was making from the yarn that came with the second of the STR 2007 club kit. I really love these, as they are so soft and silky to the touch.




Here is a close up of the patterned cuff


This pattern I would, definitely do again and would recommend to anyone who is looking for something a bit different to a plain sock, but still want to be able to knit without too much concentration or the need to keep frogging due to mistakes on previous rows. For anyone interested here is the link again to the pattern Tidal Waves by Deby Lake

I was rather hoping to show you a few of my purchases I had made over the last few weeks, but I'm afraid I don't have as much too show as I would have liked, as I think I've been hit by the postal strike and am still waiting for some bits to arrive, although I do sympathise with the Postal workers grievances, I can't help wondering how much other companies have used it as an excuse, as lately that is all we have been hearing at work "It must be in the backlog due to the strike"


Anyway as mentioned last post, I have had these two books arrive



The first one, Favorite Socks by Interweave is a classic, there are a few patterns that I would add to my never ending to do list, and even has a couple that I would like to make for DB at some stage, but ssh, don't tell him, as there is an "inverses" on the "at the some stage" bit. The other good thing I like about this book is that it is spiral bound, so will stay home at the correct page whilst in use.

The other book is called Knit,Knit, a interesting but rather unusual book. I bought this purposely for the lovely Bridie by Anna Bell, which is also on my "to do" list and for me the book is well worth having just for this pattern alone and also gives a lovely profile on Anna, which each time I read it, gives me a huge boost of inspiration. The other patterns though, unfortunately are just not for me, some such as "knitted Boxing Gloves, Knitted Shoes, Knitted Bathing Costume, a rather lacy see through mini knitted tube dress, jump in the wall, yes a knitted wall with a jumper knitted in which you wear by standing against the wall etc... but please do not let me put you off completely, the book is full of good reading and gives wonderful in depth profiles of each designer, each one completely different and how knitting has had a impact on their life's, each time you open it, you see something different and is not one that you could appreciate by just glancing through, this is ideal book to perhaps try and persuade your local library to get, that way you can have a good look, before you commit to buy, although at £11.80, it not overly expensive to treat yourself too either.


I also have some more gorgeous STR to show




These are called Saratoga (Top) and Grandma's Flower Garden (Bottom), these strangely enough do look, like you see here, very similar to each other, but when I chose them, they did look more differently on the Blue Moon Website, but never mind, they are both gorgeous and I may use one of them to knit Monkey Socks. Talking of STR, I have now received my invite for next year's club, so that is now all sorted and confirmed, which I am pleased about, as I don't want the same question as last year, will I or won't I get in...

Hopefully for next post, my other goodies will have arrived so I can share them with you.

Not much knitting going on here at the moment I'm afraid, as I have spent a fair bit of knitting time on Ravelry, yes the addictive bug is still with me lol!

Sorry for the shortish post, but over the weekend I have not really felt too well, It started off as a really bad swollen sore throat and tight chest and then this morning I woke up to my face and eyes swollen up to three time the size, Scary eh... I have taken the day off work and did go to see the emergency doctor, who says no doubt I have an allergy of some kind, not really sure what it can be though, as I have not taken anything or used anything differently to normal. The doctor has subscribed some antihistamine's and did say that if it gets worse or the wheeziness in my chest comes back to go to A& E immediately for stronger meds. Although I do feel much better now than I did twelve hours ago, the swelling hasn't gone down much and I do not like the idea of walking around looking like I have done twenty rounds in a boxing ring but hopefully it will all be cleared up soon once these tablets start to work and at least I have my knitting and Ravelry to take my mind of things.

10 comments:

Madge said...

Feel better soon! And I agree - Ravelry is the perfect thing to take your mind off not feeling well. All those lovely patterns, yarns and projects can't help but make a person happy!

Your new STR yarn is lovely. Bet it would look great as a Chevron Scarf, too.

Sarah said...

Hope you feel better soon, glad you have lovely socks and books and yarn to console you in your convalescence - I've got my eye on both those titles and will be adding that pattern to my to do list.

Sarah said...

I really like how those socks turned out! Hope you feel better soon!

Linda said...

Oh poor you, I hope you are better soon. I am surrounded by tissues and hot lemon at the mo too! I have wondered about the book with Annas Bridie in it so thank you for the piece about it.

Joy said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Lovely Tidal waves, and even lovlier yarn :-)

RoxyK said...

Oh no, not allergies!!! Sorry to hear you're poorly and hope you feel better soon and the swelling goes down.

The STR is gorgeous of course, and I particularly like Grandma's Flower Garden which I've thought about ordering too.

The Silkie Tidal Wave socks are lovely and yes, aren't they so soft!

Take care and hope your STR kit and other missing goodies arrive soon to cheer you up ;)

blog-blethers said...

Hope you are feeling better!

I've got the sock book too. Aren't the patterns just gorgeous? And I love the STR yarn! [I MUST NOT BUY ANY MORE YARN!]

CurlyBrunette said...

Your socks are looking fabulous! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Nerdy Knitter said...

Totally unrelated to your socks: I just followed your Flickr link to your photos, and love the photos of Tess--she's so cute!

Oh, and your socks are lovely, too. :-)

Hope you're feeling better by now.

Judith said...

Lovely socks! I have the Interweave Knits sock book, too. I've been getting some Christmas knitting done, but I've been working on some new designs as well. I'm home and recovering from surgery (abdominal hysterectomy) -- doing very well, actually -- and having fun knitting.

I won't be able to do the Rockin' Sock Club next year because my husband still hasn't been able to find steady work. So, I'll be creating my own again.

Big hugs and good knitting to you!